Sumary of Coronavirus live: more than half of all European adults fully vaccinated; more Olympic athletes test positive in Tokyo:
- The letter, dated 7 July, was sent to Russia’s direct investment fund (RDIF), which financially backed Sputnik V, presidential adviser Cecilia Nicolini told reporters, confirming a report by La Nacion newspaper.
- Malta has begun flying home students who tested positive for Covid-19 while studying English at schools in the small Mediterranean island nation.
- AP reports that Malta’s health ministry closed language schools on July 14 amid a spike in new cases, which included several hundred foreign students.
- The first medical charter flight carried 100 students bound for Paris.
- Earlier this week, nearly 200 students who tested negative flew home via Rome, Frankfurt, Paris and Madrid.
- The Malta Tourism Authority said it was covering the cost of the repatriation flights, which were being organised with the help of health authorities.
- Last weekend, police estimated that 100,000 people joined protests against the measures – some of them under the banner of the gilets jaunes (yellow vests).
- Photograph: Kiran Ridley/Getty Images Peruvian police have dismantled an alleged criminal ring that had charged as much $21,000 per bed for seriously ill Covid-19 patients in a state-run hospital, aggravating care in a country hit by one of the world’s deadliest outbreaks of the virus.