Sumary of Coronavirus live news: England to scrap Covid vaccine passport plans; Sri Lanka faces food shortages:
- On the subject of PCR tests for travel, Javid said he wanted to get rid of them “as soon as I possibly can”.
- Javid also said he expects the booster vaccination programme for Covid-19 to start this month.
- And in terms of a general booster programme, we have asked the JCVI to look into this.
- But I believe we will be able to start our booster programme, subject to their final advice, on schedule this month.
- Health secretary Savid Javid also told Sky News that he will not “push” chief medical officers for their advice on vaccinating healthy 12- to 15-year-olds.
- Javid told Sky News’s Trevor Phillips show: We have been looking at that.
- Asked when the chief medical officers will give their advice, Javid said: I’m not going to push them – they need to take their time.
- Interestingly, Javid was asked the same question about vaccine passports earlier on Sky News this morning and only went as far as saying he “hoped” the government could avoid them.