Sumary of Coronavirus live news: masks could return in UK if infections rise; Australia tops 2,000 new cases for first time:
- China had reported 25 new Covid-19 cases on the mainland for 10 September up from 17 a day earlier, the national health authority has said.
- The local confirmed case and four of the asymptomatic ones were found in Putian city, in the southern province of Fujian, the commission said.
- Reuters reports the state-owned People’s Daily reported that all provincial and intercity shuttle buses running from Putian were suspended from Saturday as part of epidemic prevention and control measures.
- Mainland China has confirmed 95,153 Covid-19 cases, with the death toll unchanged at 4,636. Russia reports 796 deaths from Covid-19 in the past 24 hours and 18,891 newcases have been reported.
- The health ministry said confirmed cases rose to 2.206 million, while deaths rose by 79 to 34,978. AP reports that more than a dozen tented Covid-19 vaccination sites have been set up in busy areas in Kampala, Uganda’s capital, to make it easier to get jabbed.
- Previously people had to go to vaccination centres which were mostly in hospitals to be inoculated.
- Dr Misaki Wayengera, who leads a team of scientists advising authorities on the pandemic response, said of the new vaccination sites: “All of this we could have done earlier, but we were not assured of availability of vaccines.
- People wait to receive coronavirus vaccinations at a streetside vaccination tent in downtown Kampala, Uganda.