Sumary of Coronavirus live news: two more athletes test positive in Tokyo; Biden raises jab hope for under-12s:
- Photograph: Héctor Retamal/AFP/Getty Images Zeng said he was taken aback when he first read the WHO plan because it lists the hypothesis that a Chinese violation of laboratory protocols had caused the virus to leak during research.
- Photograph: Androniki Christodoulou/Reuters The ceremony on Friday night is set to be a subdued affair and was dealt another blow by reports that Shinzo Abe, the former prime minister who did so much to attract the Games to Japan, will not attend.
- The broadcaster NHK said Abe decided against attending the ceremony after the Japanese government declared a state of emergency and virus restrictions over Tokyo.
- The main developments in the past few hours are: US cases have tripled in the past two weeks as the Delta variant takes hold and vaccinations slow.
- Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe will not attend Friday’s opening ceremony, media reports said on Thursday.