Sumary of Coronavirus live news: UK records a further 156 deaths; thousands protest in Turkey against Covid measures:
- Around 5.7 million people in Greece, or 55% of the population, are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and 59% have received one dose, according to the latest official figures.
- Police in Greece’s second city Thessaloniki fired tear gas at anti-vaccination protesters ahead of a keynote economic speech by prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.
- Photograph: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images India’s foreign minister has urged Australia to ease coronavirus travel restrictions for thousands of students who have been unable to get into the country since the pandemic started 18 months ago.
- Foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar said he raised the issue “in some detail” with his Australian counterpart Marise Payne, AFP reports.
- Patients in hospital with coronavirus – not including those in intensive care units – stood at 4,117 on Saturday, down from 4,164 a day earlier.
- More than 2,000 people demonstrated in Istanbul on Saturday against official coronavirus-related mandates including vaccinations, tests and masks, responding to new government measures and an inoculation push.