Sumary of Coronavirus: Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine 90 pct effective in phase 3 trials:
- Pfizer says an early peek at its vaccine data suggests the shots may be 90 percent effective at preventing COVID-19, indicating the company is on track later this month to file an emergency use application with US regulators..
- This interim analysis, from an independent data monitoring board, looked at 94 infections recorded so far in a study that has enrolled nearly 44,000 people in the US and five other countries..
- did not provide any more details about those cases, and cautioned the initial protection rate might change by the time the study ends..
- However, Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech are scaling up production, in hopes of having 50 million doses for 25 million people by the end of 2020, and 1.3 billion doses in 2021, The Washington Post reported on Monday..
- The shots made by Pfizer and BioNTech are among 10 possible vaccine candidates in late-stage testing around the world — four of them so far in huge studies in the US Another US company, Moderna Inc., also has said it hopes to be able to file an application with the Food and Drug Administration later this month..
- But a week after their second required dose, Pfizer study began counting the number who developed COVID-19 symptoms and were confirmed to have the coronavirus..
- Pfizer doesn’t plan to stop its study until it records 164 infections among all the volunteers, a number that the FDA has agreed is enough to tell how well the vaccine is working….