Sumary of Could higher-paid hotel quarantine workers better protect Australia from COVID-19?:
- A leading epidemiologist has argued workers in hotel quarantine need to be paid more so that they don’t work other jobs and risk coronavirus infection..
- Authorities believe a hotel cleaner contracted coronavirus from a hard surface, before spreading it to security guards Victoria’s hotel quarantine inquiry recommended restricting staff to one workplace The head of SA’s COVID-19 response angrily rejected the suggestion yesterday It highlights a key difference in approach between South Australia, as it enters its second day of lock down, and Victoria, as it recovers from its own..
- South Australian hotel quarantine workers will be allowed to continue working multiple jobs despite the state’s latest COVID-19 outbreak, which authorities believe was spread by a medi-hotel security guard also working at a pizza bar..
- Chair in Epidemiology at Deakin University, Professor Catherine Bennett, said governments need to consider preventing hotel workers from working across multiple sites and in other jobs..
- “Minimising workplace contact helps keep this precious bridge between our returning travellers and the rest of the community a little bit safer.”.
- Professor Bennett says staff working in hotel quarantine should be paid more to ensure exclusive work contracts.(Supplied) “If we can get the remuneration right … it supports the notion of this being an exclusive contract so that people are able to support themselves,”.
- Hotel quarantine key to SA’s outbreak South Australia’s medi-hotel scheme has been under scrutiny as the state grapples with an unprecedented lockdown to control a coronavirus cluster that has emerged from the Pepper’s Hotel in Adelaide’s CBD..
- Health authorities believe a cleaner at the hotel unknowingly contracted coronavirus from a hard surface, before spreading it to two security guards at the hotel and more than a dozen members of her family..
- Eugene Boisvert) Anyone who attended the shop, or got takeaway or delivery over a 10-day period are now being urged to quarantine and seek a coronavirus test, after another worker at a separate quarantine hotel was diagnosed with COVID-19 after ordering a pizza from the venue..
- Earlier this month, the inquiry into Victoria’s problematic hotel quarantine system recommended that every effort be made to “ensure that all personnel working at the facility are not working across multiple quarantine sites and not working in other forms of employment.”.
- SA Commissioner rejects single workplace for hotel workers But asked whether South Australian authorities had considered the Victorian inquiry’s recommendation, South Australia’s Police Commissioner bristled..
- “Your expectation is that people who work in a quarantine hotel will be isolated in a complete bubble from the rest of the community while they’re providing that service,”…