Sumary of COVID-19: Faculty union seeks vaccine mandate at Western University:
- The union representing 1,500 faculty members along with dozens of librarians and archivists at Western University is calling on the London, Ont.
- school to implement a campus-wide COVID-19 vaccination mandate.
- On Tuesday, the University of Western Ontario Faculty Association (UWOFA) called on Western administration “to require all eligible students, staff, faculty, librarians and archivists to be fully vaccinated before coming to campus, acknowledging that some may be exempt for medical or religious reasons.
- ” COVID-19: Ontario universities, colleges told to prepare for normal fall with backup plans The call comes a day after the Ministry of Colleges and Universities said post-secondary institutions in Ontario should prepare for all in-person classes and activities to resume this fall without capacity limits or physical distancing.
- The province is also asking those institutions to have plans for how learning will continue in the event of COVID-19 outbreaks.
- Story continues below UWOFA president Nigmendra Narain says many faculty members have been urging the union to push for a vaccine mandate, citing concerns that in-person classes without physical distancing or capacity limits could lead to outbreaks.
- As of Tuesday evening, Western requires students living in residence to receive full vaccinations, with those students encouraged to get their second dose before arriving on campus, but Narain says it isn’t enough.