Sumary of COVID-19 live updates: Total number of cases passes 174 million:
- Known as SARS-CoV-2, the virus has resulted in more than 173 million infections and more than 3.7 million deaths..
- In recent days, the Chinese health authorities have approved the emergency use of the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine in children as young as 3 years old..
- The Sinovac Biotech COVID-19 vaccine will soon be available for people aged 3–17 years, said Yin Weidong, the company CEO and founder..
- New research underscores the importance of antimicrobial stewardship — that is, guidance on the effective use of antimicrobial medicines, such as antibiotics — in COVID-19 patient care..
- The study confirms that bacterial coinfections were rare among people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the first wave of the pandemic, yet 85% of them received antimicrobials..
- This raises concerns about fostering antimicrobial resistance, which is one of the biggest public health challenges of our time..
- “However, we now know that bacterial coinfection is uncommon in patients with community-acquired COVID-19.”.
- Since “antimicrobial resistance remains one of the biggest public health challenges of our time, measures to combat it are essential,”…