Sumary of COVID-19 Updates: Concerns Rise Over Variants, Vaccines, and Heart Issues:
- Globally, there have been nearly 175 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and 3.7 million associated deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University..
- states and communities are far from achieving a level of COVID-19 vaccination that could prevent future outbreaks of the highly contagious COVID-19 Delta variant..
- According to experts in the United Kingdom, the Delta variant is 40 to 60 percent more transmissible than the Alpha variant that first emerged there in late 2020 and was up to 70 percent more transmissible than earlier versions of the coronavirus..
- In Great Britain, the Delta variant is currently responsible for 91 percent of new COVID-19 cases, with cases doubling over the past week, according to The New York Times..
- Although all two-dose COVID-19 vaccines are effective against the variant when fully administered, a recent study from Public Health England (PHE) finds this variant “immune escape”.
- Delta is now driving “an epidemic among the unvaccinated and partially vaccinated populations in the U.K.,”.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci has said the Delta variant spread and dominance in the United Kingdom could mean trouble for the United States, where the variant currently accounts for 6 percent of all infections, rising to 18 percent or higher in certain Western states..
- Agency officials said the vaccine can be stored at low temperatures for 4.5 months instead of the 3-month limit originally ordered….