Sumary of COVID-19 vaccines ARE effective in cancer patients: Study finds 94% of patients developed antibodies:
- Researchers from Montefiore Health System and Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, New York found that 94 percent of patients with tumors developed antibodies after being vaccinated..
- Even patients receiving stem cell transplants and other treatments that suppress the immune system had antibody positivity rates over 70 percent..
- This finding is great news for many patients and their physicians who worried that the vaccines would not be effective for cancer patients..
- The teams says the findings provide evidence for why patients should definitely get vaccinated against coronavirus if a shot is available to them..
- Elderly cancer patients and those who also suffer from other conditions – like lung disease or diabetes – are especially vulnerable because they have weak immune systems, or are immunocompromised..
- Due to their weaker immune systems, many medical experts have worried that vaccines would not be effective for cancer patients..
- So far, studies in this area have been limited because COVID-19 vaccine trials excluded patients with cancer diagnoses..
- Patients have not been able to get clear information on whether they should get vaccinated – or how the vaccines may impact their cancer treatment….