Sumary of Covid live: Covid cases on the rise in every region in England; WHO warns of autumn resurgence in Europe:
- Britain used its presidency of G7 to pledge to improve global preparedness against emerging health threats in light of the coronavirus pandemic, Reuters reports..
- The latest weekly surveillance report from Public Health England (PHE), published on Thursday, shows that rates in north-west England increased to 149.6 cases per 100,000 people in the seven days to June 6, up week-on-week from 89.4, PA news reports..
- The latest figures come as Health Secretary Matt Hancock told MPs that the Delta variant first identified in India now comprised 91% of cases of coronavirus in the UK..
- The increase is primarily in younger age groups who are yet to receive the vaccine and we are seeing more hospital admissions..
- Separate figures published by the Office for National Statistics show there have been 153,000 deaths registered in the UK where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate..
- A total of 147 hospital admissions of people with Covid-19 in England were reported for June 8, NHS England also said..
- France will work with South Africa to help African countries secure access to Covid-19 vaccines, French President Emmanuel Macron told a news conference on Thursday ahead of a G7 summit..
- Macron also told a news conference that having access to vaccines should not be hampered by disputes over intellectual property rights….