Sumary of COVID: UK and Israel suspend travel from southern African countries:
- The United Kingdom and Israel have introduced new travel limits following news on Thursday that a new COVID-19 variant was detected in South Africa.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) said that it is one of the “variants under monitoring.
- ” According to WHO COVID-19 technical lead Maria Kerkhove, it would still take a few weeks to determine whether it should be identified as a “variant of interest” or a “variant of concern.
- ” “Everybody that’s out there needs to understand that the more this virus circulates, the more opportunities the virus has to change, the more mutations we will see,” Kerkhove said.
- On Thursday, UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid suggested that the existing vaccines might be less effective against the new virus variant, and that it “may well be more transmissible” that other variants.