Sumary of Covid vaccine maker CureVac hopes shot will get EU approval in June:
- Coronavirus vaccine maker CureVac has said it hopes its Covid shot will receive European approval in the second quarter..
- CureVac’s CEO Franz-Werner Haas told CNBC Thursday that the vaccine maker was close to finalizing the recruitment for the vaccine’s Phase 3 clinical trial..
- Approval could come not long after, he said, given the urgent need for additional effective coronavirus vaccines and the expedited regulatory approval process..
- Once the trial is underway, the German biotech CureVac will wait for safety data and then conduct an interim analysis of results from the late-stage study..
- Crucially, it will also have to wait until a certain number of trial participants develop Covid-19 in order to see how effective the vaccine is at preventing the virus..
- this is where the data is analyzed by regulators as it emerges, speeding up the assessment of new, potentially life-saving vaccines or medicines during public health emergencies….