Sumary of Czech PM blasts ‘scandal’ as five positive for COVID at Olympics:
- PRAGUE – The Czech Olympic team received sharp words from their prime minister on Thursday after five athletes and officials on the same flight to Tokyo tested positive for the coronavirus.
- Prime Minister Andrej Babis called the situation “a scandal” as beach volleyball player Marketa Nausch Slukova became the third Czech athlete to test positive in the Olympic Village.
- The player’s Austrian coach and husband Simon Nausch tested positive earlier this week along with another beach volleyball player, Ondrej Perusic, and table tennis hope Pavel Sirucek.
- Czech Olympic team doctor Vlastimil Voracek had tested positive on arrival in Tokyo.
- Czech Olympic Committee spokesman Tibor Alfoldi confirmed to AFP that all five were on the same flight.
- Nausch Slukova’s positive test rules her and teammate Barbora Hermannova out of the Olympics.
- “I don’t know what to say, I’m terribly disappointed,” Nausch Slukova, who was fifth at London 2012 with Kristyna Kolocova, said in a statement.