Sumary of Czech President Zeman back in hospital, now with COVID-19:
- PRAGUE (AP) — Czech President Milos Zeman was readmitted to hospital late Thursday after he tested positive for COVID-19, just hours after he had been discharged following more than a month’s treatment for an unspecified illness.
- The presidential office said Zeman was tested after he arrived at his official residence in Lany, west of Prague, in the afternoon.
- His official program was postponed, and it was unclear whether Zeman would be able to swear in the country’s new prime minister as scheduled Friday — a process already long delayed due to his previous hospitalization.
- He had been discharged from the Prague military hospital earlier in the day.
- The hospital said Thursday it would have preferred Zeman to remain hospitalized, but accepted his decision to leave due to a “significant improvement” in his condition.
- Zeman is a heavy smoker and drinker who has suffered from diabetes.