Sumary of Deliveroo riders planning strike across England over pay and conditions:
- A group of about 400 Deliveroo riders are expected to strike over pay and conditions as the company faces increasing pressure over its employment practices..
- The Independent Workers of Great Britain (IWGB) union said it planned to stage socially distanced protests in five towns and cities across England on Wednesday..
- “I’m going on strike for my basic rights and those of all the other riders struggling to get by and support families on Deliveroo poverty pay,”.
- “I’ve seen conditions decline for years and then working through lockdown I contracted Covid-19 and got very little support from Deliveroo..
- After the news broke, several institutional investors declined to get involved in Deliveroo initial public offering, with some citing the firm record on workers’ rights as a key concern..
- Shares in the firm dropped by more than a quarter on its conditional stock market debut on 31 March – a performance derided by some as “flopperoo”..
- The IWGB strike is planned to coincide with the flotation becoming unconditional – meaning trades can no longer be unwound, nor the flotation itself cancelled…