Sumary of Detained Australian Sean Turnell at 'grave risk' from COVID-19 if he is not released from Myanmar jail, wife says:
- The wife of jailed Australian economist Sean Turnell has begged the Myanmar military junta to release him, saying he is unvaccinated and at “grave risk” as the Delta strain rips through the prison where he is being held.
- “Insein [jail] is increasingly becoming a dangerous place with [a] reported death caused by COVID-19. I’m begging you to let Sean go home to Australia,” she said.
- Mr Turnell was arrested after the military junta seized power earlier this year.
- The military said yesterday it would release prisoners in a bid to prevent the further spread of COVID-19, but only those who were arrested prior to the February 1 coup.
- (LinkedIn)”Sean’s lawyers said that the prosecution needs him for the OSA [Official Secrets Act] case against ASSK [Aung San Suu Kyi], so it better do all it can to keep him alive.
- “Lawyers for inmates at the Insein prison told Radio Free Asia that 48 prisoners have been infected with the disease and alleged they were being denied effective medical treatment.
- Professor Turnell was detained in Myanmar after the country’s military junta arrested leader Aung San Suu Kyi and seized power.
- More than 5,000 people have been arrested since the military takeover and 929 killed by the junta, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP).