Sumary of Discovery of girl’s body prompts nationwide protests in Spain:
- Protests against gender-based violence are to be held across Spain after the discovery of the body of a six-year-old girl who is suspected to have been murdered by her father and dumped at sea..
- A surge in domestic violence cases has coincided with the end of Spain state of emergency restrictions last month..
- Officers from Spain Guardia Civil police force are continuing to search for Olivia one-year-old sister, Anna, and for the girls’ father, Tomás Gimeno..
- Irene Montero, who serves as equality minister in Sánchez socialist-led coalition government, also sent her condolences and attacked what she called the “vicarious violence”.
- “This violence committed against women who are mothers to hit them where it hurts the most is a national issue..
- A few hours later, Montero also offered her sympathy to the family of a teenager, Rocío Caíz, 17, who is thought to have been the 18th woman to be murdered by a partner or ex-partner in Spain this year..
- Since the Spanish government began recording gender-based violence murders in 2003, it has registered the killing of 1,095 women..
- In the five weeks since Spain Covid-19 state of emergency was lifted on 9 May, 10 women have been murdered by current or former partners…