Sumary of ‘Disgust’ as 600,000 vax doses are destroyed:
- Organisations have reacted with “disgust” to reports the United Kingdom threw away more than 600,000 vaccine doses.
- Australians fighting to secure more vaccines for poorer countries have reacted with “disgust” to reports the United Kingdom threw away more than 600,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine.
- The doses were reportedly discarded in August after being allowed to pass their expiry date following Britain’s decision to stop offering the vaccine to young people due to the risk of rare blood clots.
- The wastage, which is a great loss to poorer countries struggling to access Covid vaccines, was revealed in data obtained by The Independent through a Freedom of Information request.
- End Covid For All spokesman Reverend Tim Costello told news.
- ”Experts have warned it could take less than a year before Covid-19 mutated to the point where the majority of vaccines were rendered ineffective if authorities did not act fast enough to vaccinate the whole world.
- Reverend Costello believes that one of the problems is that the COVAX facility, which is the worldwide initiative aimed at making sure all countries have access to vaccines, is now seen as a charity, not as an organisation for justice and equity.
- Rev Costello said many rich countries including Australia had stockpiled up to five times the amount of vaccine doses they needed.