Sumary of ECCP forum tackles the economic benefits of universal health care:
- AT the virtual forum organized by the European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines, experts discussed how universal health care plays a role in the country’s economy and overall health system.
- The “Universal Health Care Act” or Republic Act No. 11223 was passed into law on February 2019, which, according to Department of Health Undersecretary Mario Villaverde, “aims to ensure that all Filipinos have equitable access to quality and affordable goods and services and are protected against financial risk of health services.
- “Underscoring the importance of the UHC Law, ECCP Vice President Dr. Amal Makhloufi said that healthcare is a worthy investment, and that stakeholders should come up with innovative ideas and strengthen collaborations towards improving health services.
- It should be a sustainable system that ensures continued support from the health sector.
- As to how the current health crisis has impacted the drive for growth and development, Undersecretary Aldaba stated that “the pandemic has been an impetus to fast-track innovation with greater focus on resilience and sustainability.