Sumary of Energy giant ends pipeline project:
- Canada’s TC Energy said on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) it has terminated the Keystone XL Pipeline project, throwing in the towel on a controversial initiative opposed by the Biden administration..
- US President Joe Biden formally rescinded a permit for the pipeline by executive order on his first day in office in January..
- Biden had vowed during the presidential campaign to end the project over environmental concerns, a reversal of the stance taken by predecessor Donald Trump..
- While the project has long been backed by Ottawa, Keystone XL had been opposed by environmentalists and indigenous groups..
- Kendall Mackey, a campaigner with the activist group @350, said the project’s demise was a harbinger of more casualties as environmentalists challenge fossil fuels…