Sumary of England’s lockdown easing on 21 June likely to be delayed by up to four weeks:
- And the health secretary, Matt Hancock – will decide whether to suspend the planned unlocking of all legal limits on social contact..
- There is also a further meeting of the Covid operations committee scheduled for Sunday night before a full cabinet meeting on Monday..
- The figures come as a further 8,125 Covid cases in the UK were reported on Friday, levels not seen since the end of February..
- Data released by Public Health England on Friday revealed that up to 96% of Covid cases in England were now down to the Delta variant first discovered in India, with the total number of confirmed cases in the UK passing 42,000..
- The steep jump in UK cases of Delta variant, by 29,892 to a total of 42,323 in the latest PHE report, is partly due to a new technique to determine the variant present in a positive Covid sample..
- Dr Jenny Harries, the chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency, urged people eligible for vaccination to come forward to receive the jab..
- Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at Edinburgh University, said it was hard to interpret what the deaths in the fully vaccinated people might mean for the coming months..
- “It different if those breakthrough infections are in very frail people already in hospital, or in young, healthy adults infected in the community….