Sumary of Explained: Global spread of the Delta variant of Covid-19:
- From the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, where it was first discovered, the Delta variant of the coronavirus has now spread to more than 100 countries and is on its way to becoming the most widely prevalent SARS-CoV-2 variant in the world.
- Last week, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned that a rise in the occurrence of Delta variant was being noticed across all the regions.
- “The increased transmissibility associated with the Delta variant is likely to result in substantial increases in case incidence and greater pressure on healthcare systems, particularly in contexts of low vaccine coverage,” the WHO said.
- other variants of Covid-19 According to the WHO, the Delta variant has now been found in at least 111 countries.
- The Alpha variant, first discovered in the United Kingdom, has been reported from as many as 178 countries, and still has the largest footprint.
- The Beta variant, the one that was first found in South Africa, has a presence in 123 countries now.
- The Gamma variant, the fourth variant of concern as identified by the WHO, is present in at least 75 countries.
- But going by the speed with which the Delta variant is spreading, this could change very soon.