Sumary of Fifth England-India test cancelled just before scheduled start after COVID-19 case:
- The fifth test between England and India at Old Trafford was cancelled barely two hours before its scheduled start on Friday after the tourists failed to field a side following a COVID-19 case in their camp.
- India were 2-1 up in the series heading into the final test but the match was thrown into doubt on Thursday after their physiotherapist Yogesh Parmar tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
- “Due to fears of a further increase in the number of COVID cases inside the camp, India are regrettably unable to field a team,” the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said in a statement.
- The ECB initially said in the statement that India had forfeited the match but later retracted that.
- The Indian team did not reveal details of the circumstances that led to their failure to field a side.