Sumary of France registers 18,000 new Covid-19 cases, a record increase:
- Issued on: 20/07/2021 – 17:54 French Health Minister Olivier Veran has said that new Covid-19 infections were increasing at an unprecedented rate due to the Delta variant, after 18,000 cases were reported for the previous 24 hours.
- Advertising Read more In an adress to members of parliament, Veran said that he was “alarmed” by this worrying increase attributed to the Delta variant, responsible for just under 79 percent of the new cases.
- Even though Covid-19 figures are on the rise again in France, the still remain far below the peak in 7 November 2020, when 83,324 new cases were registered in one single day.
- But as today’s increase is worse, health authorities warn for a more serious “fourth wave.
- And while the number of Covid-19 patients requiring intensive care has been gradually declining (IC occupancy rates went down from 21,8 percent on July 6 to 18 percent on July 19) specialists fear that the trend may be reversed.
From September on, vaccinations will become mandatory for healthcare and retirement home workers. Macron’s announcement of the measures this month sparked a scramble for vaccine shots in a country that was one of the most vaccine-shy in the world at the start of the pandemic.