Sumary of G7: Boris Johnson appears to repudiate Tory austerity at summit opening:
- The prime minister was not an MP during the 2010-15 Tory-Lib Dem coalition government that blamed Labour overspending for the crisis and imposed swingeing cuts;.
- “Instead of learning from its mistakes, this Tory government is caught in a cycle of trying to clean up its own mess.”.
- G7 leaders will be joined by the Indian, South Korean, Australian and South African delegations – attending the G7 at the UK invitation – for their discussions about health..
- They will be shown a presentation by the UK government chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, and Melinda French Gates on the work of the Pandemic Preparedness Partnership, a group of international experts advising the G7 on detecting and preventing future outbreaks..
- Their recommendations include cutting the time taken to develop and license vaccines, treatments and diagnostics for any future disease to less than 100 days, and reinforcing global surveillance networks to identify and track new pandemic threats….