Sumary of G7 summit: Boris Johnson praises Joe Biden as ‘breath of fresh air’ after talks – as it happened:
- Boris Johnson and Joe Biden have had their first in-person meeting at Carbis Bay in Cornwall, where the G7 summit will start tomorrow..
- Talks in Washington deadlocked as Biden meets UK PM Johnson – live Biden also confirmed that the US is buying 500m doses of the Pfizer vaccine to donate to 100 poorer nations..
- https://t.co/9mMwX4dba6 pic.twitter.com/avNdGegaqw He started by mourning the loss of Prince Philip, who would have celebrated his 100th birthday today..
- Biden begins remarks by mourning the most recent loss of the Royal Family, noting today “would have been Prince Philip’s 100 birthday.”.
- Using the term could be seen as antagonistic towards Boris Johnson, after No 10 confirmed earlier this week that he does not like to use the term..
- But Biden has used the phrase quite happily before, and so it might have looked odd if he did not repeat it again..
- Johnson and Biden have agreed “to work to reopen travel and to continue to share information that will help defeat the spread of coronavirus in our countries and internationally”..
- The prime minister and president concurred that the revitalised Atlantic Charter published today was a fitting testament to the sheer breadth and depth of the cooperation between our countries….