Sumary of Germany announces new Covid restrictions for the unvaccinated as infection rate hits record:
- Outgoing German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the country’s 16 state premiers on Thursday agreed on a new package of measures to tackle a fourth wave of the coronavirus pandemic, as infection rates soar to a record.
- “Many of the measures we are announcing would not be necessary if more people were vaccinated,” Merkel told a news conference, according to a Reuters translation.
- Merkel said the country was also considering making it mandatory for hospital staff to be vaccinated, and free Covid testing will also resume.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel gestures as she sits down for a weekly cabinet meeting at the Chancellery in Berlin.
- According to Germany’s Deutsche Welle news outlet, if more than 3 per 100,000 inhabitants in a region are hospitalized with the disease, then the 2G rule will apply for all public leisure events in a given state.