Sumary of Global stock markets surge after Pfizer Covid vaccine news:
- Global stocks have surged after the drug companies Pfizer and BioNTech announced that their coronavirus vaccine was 90% effective in tests, giving hope that economies around the world can soon return to normal..
- On the FTSE 100 the biggest winners included shares in the events company Informa, which soared by 44%, British Airways’ owner, International Airlines Group, which gained 39%, and the jet engine manufacturer and maintenance company Rolls-Royce, which gained 33%..
- Shares in the cruise company Carnival, whose ships suffered multiple prominent coronavirus outbreaks, jumped by 35% to their highest point since June – albeit again only a fraction of their pre-pandemic worth..
- Home delivery and video conferencing companies have had huge share price increases during 2020, with quarantined users flocking to their platforms, but the prospect of a quicker easing of lockdowns cooled investor optimism on their prospects..
- The UK home grocery delivery company Ocado also lost 13%, and the Anglo-Dutch food delivery company Just Eat Takeaway fell by 7.5%….