Sumary of Halal center to be established in UPLB:
- LOS BAÑOS, Laguna: A Halal Science and Technology and One Health Knowledge Center for Southeast Asia will soon be established at the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) with support from the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (Searca) here.
- Project leader Dr. Yusuf Sucol of the UPLB-School of Environmental Science and Management said the Halal center will be hosted by the UPLB-Sesam.
- The Halal center has been envisioned to be a virtual one-stop, open-access regional hub for country-to-country and cross-country government-academe-industry exchanges of knowledge and resources related to the growing Halal and One Health global ecosystems.
- “Halal is a growing and promising global market valued at $2.5 trillion in 2020, largely in the food industry,” Sucol, also the UPLB focal person for the Halal center, said.
- Citing a report by Imarat Consultants (IC), Searca Director Dr. Glenn Gregorio said countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Brunei, the Philippines, Indonesia and China drive the halal market forward.
- “In Southeast Asia, regional competition has stimulated the local and global markets for halal products,” Gregorio said.