Sumary of ‘Have no fear’: Brad backs unpopular call:
- The NSW Health Minister has slapped down criticism of his government’s decision to avoid daily press conferences.
- The Berejiklian government is standing firm on its decision to suspend daily conferences following widespread criticism, with Health Minister Brad Hazzard declaring it takes too much time to prepare for the 24-hour updates.
- The Premier infuriated many on Friday when she announced press conferences would be reserved for major updates rather than daily Covid-19 case numbers.
- Instead, the update will be replaced by videos of Department of Health officials running through the daily figures, without the opportunity for reporters to hurl questions at authorities and senior politicians.
- Mr Hazzard said the daily press conferences forced critical health staff to spend hours to prepare for questions ahead of the daily update.
- The Health Minister said at least 70 hours a week is devoted to press conference preparation, which “is taken out from the time we need to do the things you want us to do”.
- ”The senior state cabinet member, who fronted Saturday’s press conference without the premier or deputy premier, revealed a record daily increase in cases of 1599 and eight deaths.
- But he insisted there would be a press conference if a major announcement was needed to be conveyed to the population.