Sumary of Health minister defends Pfizer jab talks:
- The Morrison government is under renewed fire over the vaccine rollout after revelations Pfizer tried in vain to speed up a deal last year.
- Labor leader Anthony Albanese believes government emails released under freedom of information laws show remarkable complacency.
- Mr Hunt insists the government was in contact with Pfizer throughout last year and the initial deal was made as quickly as possible.
- “A high-ranking health bureaucrat was offered a meeting with senior global Pfizer bosses if Mr Hunt or departmental leadership was involved on June 30 last year.
- Pfizer said it could supply millions of doses to the world by the end of 2020 before scaling up to hundreds of millions in 2021.Health Department first assistant secretary Lisa Schofield replied three days later saying she, rather than the minister, would meet with the company.
- Almost two weeks later, Pfizer told the government the UK and US had signed vaccine deals with the company.
- Mr Albanese said the nation was last in the developed world despite the prime minister last year declaring Australia was at the front of the queue.