Sumary of Health Minister Martin Foley ridicules decision to suspend daily Covid-19 briefings:
- The Andrews government has provided a scathing response to Gladys Berejiklian’s decision to suspend daily Covid-19 updates, declaring the briefings are crucial amid a “public health crisis”.
- Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley emphatically rejected his government following NSW counterparts who said they will front the media “when I need to”, which he ridiculed as an out-of-touch move that fails to communicate key information to the state and denigrates the seriousness of the pandemic.
- “It’s not fun having to do these things (but) this is a public health crisis, the likes of which we have not seen in a century.
- “And, yeah, not every person lobs in and watches us, but it’s an important part in getting the message out that it’s not just numbers, it’s people, it’s lives, it’s health systems and we have take every opportunity to get the message out that it is in a our collective ability to reshape that.
- ”Camera IconMr Foley said Victoria had no plans to suspend daily briefings.
- NCA NewsWire/Sarah Matray Credit: News Corp AustraliaThe Berejiklian infuriated many on Friday when she announced press conferences would be reserved for major updates rather than daily Covid-19 case numbers.
- Instead, the update will be replaced by videos of Department of Health officials running through the daily figures, without the opportunity for reporters to hurl questions at authorities and senior politicians.
- On Saturday, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the daily press conferences forced critical health staff to spend hours preparing for questions ahead of the daily update, taking up too much valuable time.