Sumary of How Did It Come to This? Why Biden Is Mandating Vaccines :
- Republican elected officials have pushed back against mask and vaccine mandates as unconstitutional infringements of personal liberty.
- The Republican governors of Texas and Florida have barred local school districts from requiring masks in classrooms.
- “See you in court,” Republican South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem wrote on Twitter.
- — Governor Kristi Noem (@govkristinoem) September 9, 2021 Inconsistent approach Experts say the administration has also undermined its own efforts with its inconsistent approach toward vaccine boosters.
- Biden said in his speech Thursday that boosters will be available for eligible people as soon as the Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention authorize them.
- While boosters might be a good idea for the elderly and others whose immune systems tend to be weaker, “I don’t think that we have data yet that indicates everyone needs a booster,” infectious disease physician Monica Gandhi at the University of California-San Francisco told VOA.
- “Saying in one breath, ‘Get vaccinated,’ and then in the second, ‘Well, they don’t actually seem to be working out well’ — I think it had a profound impact on the people who are reluctant to vaccinate,” Gandhi said.
- It was a “very American” message, Gandhi said: ” ‘We’ll give you a prize if you get vaccinated.