Sumary of How effective is the COMIRNATY BNT162b2 vaccine against the SARS-CoV-2 Lambda variant?:
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has caused over five million deaths and spread to nearly every country in the world.
- These variants of concern (VOCs) show several worrying traits – they show increased transmission compared to wild-type severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and can evade both natural and vaccine-induced immunity.
- The Lambda variant, like many other variants, is characterized by mutations in the spike proteins, including 75V, T76I, Δ246–252, L452Q, F490S, D614G, and T859N.
- The spike protein is key to the pathogenicity of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).
- It is a trimeric surface protein formed of two subunits that must be cleaved by a host protein, S1 and S2. Related StoriesS1 contains a receptor-binding domain (RBD) that can bind to angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) among other receptors in order to permit viral cell entry.
- When the proteins are facing down, they are less likely to induce an immune response – this is the evolutionary tactic the wild-type SARS-CoV-2 attempted.
- However, when they face up, the protein shows significantly improved ACE2 binding and is far more infective – often seen in variants.
- The neutralizing titers against the Lambda variant were compared against wild-type (WT), the Alpha variant and the Delta variant.