Sumary of How much protection COVID-19 vaccines give you against the Delta variant, according to the best available data:
- The Delta variant is the most common cause of new COVID-19 infections in the US, the UK, and elsewhere.
- Six studies suggest vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca work against Delta, to varying degrees.
- The highly-infectious Delta coronavirus variant has spread to at least 174 countries worldwide, from the US to Australia, causing a surge in COVID-19 cases.
- The variant has mutations that help it partially escape the immune response produced by vaccines.
- The data for how well COVID-19 vaccines work against the Delta variant isn’t clear cut.
- The vaccines may offer less protection against symptomatic illness caused by Delta compared to other variants.
- Public Health England said in a report published on September 9 that, generally, COVID-19 vaccines were 79% effective against COVID-19 with symptoms caused by Delta after two doses.
- Here’s how much protection COVID-19 vaccines give you against symptomatic Delta infections, based on the best available data from four studies.