Sumary of Icosapent ethyl does not reduce COVID-19 hospitalization, death despite favorable trends:
- November 15, 2021 3 min read Source/Disclosures Published by: Source: Diaz R, et al.
- LBS.06. Fish Oil and Cholesterol: Recipes for CVD Prevention?
- Presented at: American Heart Association Scientific Sessions;
- Data from the PREPARE-IT 2 study were presented at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions.
- The PREPARE-IT 1 study, presented at the European Society of Cardiology Congress in August, demonstrated high-dose icosapent ethyl for 60 days did not prevent incident SARS-CoV-2 infection among healthy participants who did not have prior known infection, with or without COVID-19 vaccination.
- Bhatt The PREPARE-IT 2 study was an opportunity for researchers to assess an already-approved treatment that could potentially be easily deployed and repurposed for COVID-19-positive outpatients, a group without many treatment options, according to Cardiology Today Intervention Section Editor Deepak L.
- Bhatt, MD, MPH, executive director of interventional cardiology programs at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.