Sumary of In hindsight there was no foresight: how Australia bungled its Pfizer Covid deal:
- That same day Pfizer wrote to the federal health minister, Greg Hunt, with a clear sense of urgency, wanting to discuss a vaccination deal.
- Two more weeks after that, Australia finally signed the Pfizer contract.
- Pfizer has become the vaccine of choice, and there hasn’t been enough.
- On 8 December, Margaret Keenan got the world’s first Pfizer mass vaccination jab.
- On 15 December, the first recipient – Long Island critical care nurse Sandra Lindsay – said on a livestream that she trusted the science.
- On 21 February, prime minister Scott Morrison sat next to World War II survivor Jane Malysiak as she received Australia’s first Pfizer vaccine.
- Prime minister Scott Morrison with World War II survivor Jane Malysiak when she received Australia’s first Covid vaccine on 21 February 2021. Photograph: Mark Evans/Getty ImagesAbout three in 10 Australians (of all ages) are now fully vaccinated.
- The documents show the first discussion between Australia and Pfizer was on 26 June, and it was followed up by that 30 June email to the health department and an attached letter to health minister Greg Hunt.