Sumary of India reports record number of COVID-19 deaths in the past 24 hours:
- Government modelling had pointed to a peak by Wednesday, a few days earlier than thought, since the virus has spread faster than expected..
- The surge of the highly infectious Indian variant of the coronavirus has seen hospitals runs out of beds and oxygen and left morgues and crematoriums overflowing..
- trains reached the capital Delhi on Wednesday carrying desperately needed liquid oxygen, Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal said on Twitter..
- India government says there are enough oxygen supplies but distribution has been hindered by transport problems..
- A two-judge bench of the Delhi High Court has been holding almost daily video conferences to hear petitions from hospitals seeking oxygen and invoking India constitutional right to protection of life..
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi government has been widely criticized for not acting sooner to suppress the second wave of the virus..
- India opposition has called for a nationwide lockdown, but the government is reluctant to impose a shutdown for fear of the economic fallout, although several states have imposed social curbs…