Sumary of Indian PM Modi rejects calls to vaccinate youth as COVID-19 infections surpass 12M:
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday rejected calls from states to offer coronavirus vaccinations to younger people to help contain a record surge in cases..
- Many states in India, the world biggest vaccine producer, which has exported tens of millions of shots, have also complained of shortages even for the priority groups of recipients..
- India health minister said earlier there was no shortage of shots for the groups eligible for vaccination, with more than 43 million doses in stock or in the pipeline..
- However, vaccine centres in several states, including hardest-hit Maharashtra, home to financial capital Mumbai, have been shutting early and turning people away as supplies run out..
- 1:41 India PM Modi says quick steps needed to stop 2nd COVID-19 ‘peak’ India PM Modi says quick steps needed to stop 2nd COVID-19 ‘peak’ – Mar 17, 2021 India vaccination drive has so far administered 92 million doses, the most in the world after the United States and China, but much lower than many countries per capita….