Sumary of Infectiousness peaks early in Covid patients: Lancet study:
- “It provides a clear explanation for why SARS-CoV-2 spreads more efficiently than SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV and is so much more difficult to contain,”.
- The researchers included 98 studies that had five or more participants, cohort studies, and randomised controlled trials, 79 focussed on SARS-CoV-2, 73 of which included hospitalised patients only, eight on SARS-CoV, and 11 on MERS-CoV infection..
- From these studies, the authors calculated the average length of viral RNA shedding and examined the changes in viral load and the success of isolating the live virus from different samples collected throughout an infection..
- Analyzing the results from the SARS-CoV-2 studies showed that the average length of time of viral RNA shedding into the upper respiratory tract, lower respiratory tract, stool and serum were 17 days, 14.6 days, 17.2 days, and 16.6 days, respectively..
- Of the eleven studies that attempted to isolate the live virus, all eight studies included that used respiratory samples successfully managed to culture viable virus within the first week of illness…