Sumary of Japan, Vietnam sign defense transfer deal:
- 6, 2021 file photo, Japan’s Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi speaks to the members of the media after he inspected the British Royal Navy’s HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier (back) at the US naval base in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan.
- Details about the transfer of specific equipment, including naval vessels, will be worked out in subsequent talks, the ministry said.
- Kishi’s meeting with his Vietnamese counterpart, Phan Van Giang, in Hanoi coincided with a two-day visit to the Vietnamese capital by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi.
- Tokyo regularly protests the Chinese coast guard’s presence near the Japanese-controlled Senkaku islands, which China also claims and calls Diaoyu.
- Japanese officials say Chinese vessels routinely violate Japanese territorial waters around the islands, sometimes threatening fishing boats.