Sumary of Joe Biden arrives in UK as domestic agenda hits a Republican wall – as it happened:
- To win, the president believes the democratic camp will have to show far greater cohesion and ambition in response to the world biggest problems, most importantly climate change and the pandemic..
- The president is said to be preoccupied with the theme, raising it persistently in both private and public conversations..
- US national security adviser Jake Sullivan said that the administration has formed two working groups of public health experts to “set out both milestones and criteria to enable a reopening of travel”.
- A final announcement on the matter is unlikely during Biden trip to the UK and Europe, Sullivan told reporters..
- “The termination of this zombie pipeline sets precedent for president Biden and polluters to stop Line 3, Dakota Access, and all fossil fuel projects,”.
- Canadian officials tried, and failed to get the US president to reverse his stance on the pipeline, which would have moved tens of millions of gallons of crude oil from Canada down to Nebraska..
- The Texas Republican congressman Louie Gohmert has asked a senior US government official if changing the moon orbit around the Earth, or the Earth orbit around the sun, might be a solution for climate change..
- Instead it was asked of a senior forestry service official during a House natural resources committee hearing on Tuesday….