Sumary of Johnston to reveal UK’s winter COVID plans:
- Geraldine ScottAAPCamera IconBoris Johnson says some powers allowing sections of the economy to be shut down will be repealed.
- Credit: APShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail UsCopy the LinkBoris Johnson is due to set out the British government’s plan to tackle coronavirus over the coming months, with a reluctance to impose further lockdowns and a focus on vaccination.
- The prime minister will host a press conference next week, as a decision is expected on how to roll out a booster jab program.
- Johnson is expected to say that vaccines will continue to be the first line of defence over the autumn and winter, a high-risk time for coronavirus as other respiratory illnesses circulate.
- “Thanks to the efforts of the public, the NHS and our phenomenal vaccination program, we reached Step 4 in our road map and life has returned to a sense of normality,” Johnson said on Saturday.
- The UK government also expects the independent Joint Committee on Vaccinations and Immunisation to recommend details of a jab booster program next week.