Sumary of Know all about the new Covid variant affecting those under 25:
- 1.1.529, detected in South Africa is mainly affecting people in the under 25 age group, among whom the vaccination rate against the virus is only 26 per cent, according to health officials.
- Professor Anne von Gottberg from the National Institute for Communicable Diseases said the variant had been detected in about 100 genomes so far.
- Regarding the affected group, South Africa’s Health Minister Joe Phaahla said: “They are at great risk,” Times Live reported.
- KwaZulu-Natal Research Innovation and Sequencing Platform (Krisp) genome sequencer Professor Tulio de Oliveira said the new variant “is concerning for predicted immune-evasion and transmissibility”.
- Twenty-two positive cases of the variant have been recorded in the country following genomic sequencing collaborations between the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), a division of the National Health Laboratory Service, and private laboratories.
- “It is not surprising that a new variant has been detected in South Africa,” comments Professor Adrian Puren, NICD Acting Executive Director.
- The South African news outlet reported that with Gauteng emerging as the epicentre of the fourth wave of the pandemic once again, it’s no surprise that the province has recorded the most number of infections from the B.
- It has a big jump on evolution,” said Professor de Oliveira, News 24 reported.