Sumary of KUWTT: New Delta cases trigger alarm | July 23, 2021:
- Here are the stories for The Manila Times for Friday, July 23, 2021.READ: New Delta cases trigger alarmTwelve more cases of the Delta variant of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) were reported by the Department of Health (DoH) on Thursday as signs of a new surge began to emerge.
- Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go said the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) is still drawing up its Senate slate.
- “READ: No fans, fewer athletes: Unusual Olympics startsOne of the strangest Olympics in history will get off to an equally unusual start when the Tokyo 2020 opening ceremony takes place in front of thousands of empty seats on Friday.
- Just 1,000 dignitaries will be present at the 68,000-seat Olympic Stadium for the traditional extravaganza, usually a time of celebration for the host nation.
- READ: Pasig completes jabs for seniorsPasig City announced on Thursday that it has completed the vaccination of its senior citizens against Covid-19. Pasig City Mayor Victor María Regis “Vico” Sotto said 44,703 senior citizens were given the first dose, 84 percent of which have received the second dose.
- Sotto attributed the successful inoculation to efficient information dissemination and the Pasig Pass, a computer application that manages data encompassing testing, contact tracing and vaccination records.
- In a Thursday commentary, ING Bank Manila senior economist Nicholas Antonio Mapa noted that Fitch Ratings, in downgrading the Philippines’ investment-grade rating from stable to negative, highlighted the scarring effects of the prolonged downturn in economic activity, as well as how weak growth could affect the country’s overall fiscal health.
- SPORTS: Nievarez jumpstarts PH campaign in TokyoTopping sports, Cris Nievarez jumpstarts the Philippines’ campaign in the Tokyo Olympics on Friday morning.