Sumary of Lag between COVID-19 vaccine boosters, new variants highlight need for therapeutics, expert says:
- It takes six months, at best, to tweak previously authorized vaccines to target specific variants, he said, with the time frame of 12 months looking more likely..
- NRx is also seeking emergency use authorization for aviptadil-acetate, Zyesami, a vasoactive intestinal polypeptide to treat severely ill coronavirus patients..
- Late-stage trial results among 196 critically ill coronavirus patients included an over four-fold improvement in odds of survival over 60 days among those given the intravenous drug, he said..
- The National Institutes of Health is also running a late-stage trial testing the drug up against the previously-approved antiviral remdesivir..
- The protein works by protecting a major target for the virus in the lungs, called alveolar type II cells, Javitt explains….