Sumary of Leylah Fernandez’s dad thanks Filipinos for support:
- THE father of US Open finalist and teen sensation Leylah Fernandez expressed his appreciation to the Filipino community that has been supporting his daughter during the tournament.
- “I truly appreciate the Filipino community backing up Leylah,” said Jorge Fernandez in a conference call with US Open reporters.
- I hope that relationship can only grow between her and her community,” said Fernandez whose 19-year-old daughter will be facing 18-year-old qualifier from Great Britain Emma Raducanu for the title on Saturday (Sunday in Manila).
- Both finalists have Asian heritage, Fernandez from the Philippines on her mother’s side.
- That’s a huge opportunity in the women’s game just to be able to expand and have a new style,” said Fernandez.
- } Fernandez, however, said he won’t attend Leylah’s match over fears about messing with routines that are working.
- Fernandez, a former footballer from Ecuador who became a tennis coach for his daughter, will watch from home in Florida as he has for two weeks.
- “No, I’m not going to be there,” Fernandez said, admitting that he and his daughter were “extremely superstitious”.