Sumary of Merkel bids politics goodbye:
- GOODBYE German Chancellor Angela Merkel waves in front of the traditional Christmas tree put up at the Chancellery on Wednesday, Nov.
- Merkel will end her 16-year reign as German chancellor on Nov.
- 27, 2021. AFP PHOTO BERLIN: She was called “the leader of the free world” against authoritarian populists on the march in Europe and the United States, but Angela Merkel is wrapping up a historic 16 years in power with a mixed legacy at home and abroad.
- In office so long, she was dubbed Germany’s “eternal chancellor,” Merkel, 67, leaves with her popularity so resilient she would likely have won a record fifth term had she sought it.
- Instead, Merkel will pass the baton as the first German chancellor to step down entirely by choice, with a whole generation of voters never knowing another person at the top.
- Her supporters say she provided steady leadership through countless global crises as a moderate and unifying figure.